Bought a laptop and don’t know how to set it up. Why are you worried while you are reading this blog post? It explains how to set up a new laptop with windows 10. I know how much it has been difficult for you to buy the laptop. Obviously, you can’t risk software issues. REPAIRS CAN BE COSTLY! So, you should proceed with caution.
Even though there are the latest Windows versions on the market but still, everyone’s favorite is Windows 10. Let’s explore in detail how to set up a new laptop with windows 10.
Steps for setting up a laptop with Windows 10
Follow the next given a detailed guide on how to set up a new laptop with windows 10.
- Check for Windows Updates
If you have installed Windows 10, then it is sure that updates will be downloaded automatically. But, why not run updates manually?
- In the search box, type ‘Updates’.
- Now, tap on ‘Check for Updates’ to see if there is any pending update. The system will automatically sync for the available download and will begin downloading if any are needed. Well, meanwhile you do not have to wait for updates to install completely before starting other tasks.
- Uninstall bloatware
Whether you prefer it or not, you may see 3rd party softwares installed on your PC or laptop. It can be either antiviruses or desktop games that you don’t prefer playing. Such softwares are not healthy for your Windows System, so uninstall such bloatware.
- Go to Settings and navigate to Start Menu.
- Tap on System.
- Go to the left menu and choose ‘Apps and Features’. If you fail to locate this option, then type ‘Apps’ in the search box and select the option from the suggestions.
- Now choose the application to uninstall.
- Tap ‘Uninstall’ to proceed.
- Another uninstall button will show up, click on it.
If you don’t want to follow this procedure, then simply type ‘Uninstall’ in the Search Box. Now select ‘Add or remove programs’ and follow steps 4 to 6 as explained above. Keep reading to learn how to set up a new laptop with windows 10.
- Copy or sync the data
What is the use of a laptop or PC if your sensitive data is not stored in it? You can either copy/paste or move your documents/photos/videos or other data files. Here are the ways to copy or sync data files.
- OneDrive: The best ever combination for Windows 10 to sync data is to set up a OneDrive account. Anything you download on your synced devices is uploaded to the storage automatically. You can log into the OneDrive via your Microsoft account.
- Google Drive: It works the same as OneDrive but you have to set it up differently. You should install Google Drive on your laptop as well to use the synced data.
- Manual file copying: You can copy the files to USB or any Flash drive, and then transfer them to the new laptop. It is time taking and hectic process, so better to use cloud storage.
- Install antivirus software
You should install antivirus software to stay protected from viruses and malware. Your one accidental visit to a malicious site can put your laptop at high risk of malware attack. It can only be avoided by installing antivirus software. The purpose of antivirus software is to stop these kinds of things from happening in the first place and, if that doesn’t work, to fix them as soon as they do. You really must have antivirus software to protect your laptop from dangers.
You can download any of your favorite antivirus software on the laptop for free via online software providers like Softonic.
- Set up Windows Hello
If you bought advanced laptops then your laptop might have a fingerprint reader. In some laptops, infrared camera for facial recognition. If any of these features are available, then you should set up Windows Hello. Through this, you can log into Windows with your fingerprint. Let’s discuss how to set up a new laptop with the windows 10 ‘Windows Hello’ feature.
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Tap on ‘Accounts’.
- Choose ‘Sign-in’ options.
- Tap ‘Set up’ under the section ‘Fingerprint’ or ‘Face Recognition’.
- Now, tap on ‘Get Started’.
- Now either swipe the finger to set a fingerprint or look at the camera to set up facial recognition.
- If there is no fingerprint or facial recognition option, then set up a PIN as a backup option.
- Type the PIN code and tap on ‘OK’.
- Install browser of choice
Windows default browser – Microsoft Edge is a perfect go but some of you may prefer Chrome or Firefox extensions. Download any browser you prefer and then follow the below guide to set that as default.
- Go to Settings and click on System.
- In the left side menu, click on Default.
- You will see an icon under Web Browser, click on it.
- Now select the browser in the pop-up window that shows up.
Now you know how to set up a new laptop with windows 10? Remember to follow the steps as defined so there is no mistake. If you want any help setting up a laptop with windows 10, leave a comment.