Do you feel the internet is safe when your child is browsing? Giving internet access to your child can be life’s biggest mistake ever. But it has become necessary to allow them to use the internet. What should you do in this case to avoid their exposure to adult content? Simple! TURN ON PARENTAL CONTROLS!! BUT HOW?? How to set parental controls on Google Chrome? Let’s answer this question in detail in this blog post.
You understand that you can no longer keep your child away from your phone and PC. They need it every time they are assigned homework, or projects or they are studying virtually. So, let’s not run behind by ignoring their need for access to the internet. Think of a permanent and effective solution for this.
Setting Up Parental Controls in Google Chrome
There exist multiple ways to set up parental controls in Google Chrome. However, based on the concerning scenario, a different profile can be customized for the children where you can enable Google Family Link, or enable SafeSearch.
- Separate Profile for Your Kid in Chrome
You can create a special profile for your kids if they will only be using your PC or laptop to access the Internet, which will allow you to periodically review their browsing history and ensure they aren’t reading any objectionable material. Here are steps to follow for creating a separate profile for children
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Tap on the profile icon located in the top-right corner of the window.
- Search for ‘Other Profiles’ and then tap on ‘Add’.
- You have 2 options now, either proceed with logging into your Google account or without an account login. If your kid already has his/her own Gmail address, use it or, otherwise proceed without logging into the account.
- If you are proceeding without logging into Google, then you need to assign a name to the profile, select a color theme and upload the profile picture.
- After you are done with setting up the profile, tap on ‘Done’.
You can now switch to a freshly created profile to give your child safe internet access. If you wish to sync data across all of your devices, then it is mandatory to sign in with a Google account.
- Enabling Parental Controls on Chrome with Family Link
To monitor your child’s activity online, you can set up Google Family Link. It will sync data across all devices and is very helpful for tracking browsing history on androids or iPhones. Here is a brief guide on how to set parental controls on google chrome via Google Family Link.
- First, download the Google Family Link application on your phone. Now set up your device as a parent account.
- Now, download this application on the kid’s phone as well. On downloading, a prompt will appear asking if it is the device is to be monitored. You should select ‘This device’.
- The next step is to choose the kid’s google account to monitor or you can also create a new account for them.
- On your device, a code will appear. Type is code on a child’s device to link both accounts.
- Upon linking, more new prompts will appear to ask permission. You should agree to all permissions.
Now, once the google account from the child’s device is linked to the Family link profile, parents can track their activity on any device.
- Turning on SafeSearch
Another best way to protect children online is to enable SafeSearch on Google. How can it be helpful for letting your child browse safely? How to enable it on PC and phone? You can read the complete guide in the article ‘How To Put Parental Control On Google?’.
- Enabling Safe Browsing on Chrome
Enabling SafeSearch is helpful to block adult content, but doesn’t block hackers and malicious site attacks. So, the best option here is to turn on ‘Safe Browsing’. Follow the below guide on how to set parental controls on google chrome via the Safe Browsing feature.
- Launch Google Chrome and navigate to the menu by clicking on 3-dots in the top-right corner.
- Open the ‘Settings’ menu and go to ‘Security and Privacy.
- Choose ‘Security’ to proceed and select either ‘Standard Protection’ or ‘Enhanced Protection.
How to set parental controls on google chrome? You have 3 ways to set it up. The only thing left is to implement these guides.